Benadryl, is a popular over-the-counter medication used to treat allergies, itching and watery eyes, and if you wonder whether you can bring it on a plane or not, here is the quick answer:
According to the TSA you can bring medical necessary liquids in carry-on luggage, including allergy medications (like Benadryl) and they don’t need to follow the TSA liquid rules, but you will need to inform the TSA officer that you take these liquid medication and place them in a separated bin for X-ray screening.
Keep reading to know more about taking Benadryl on planes, and some tips for traveling with these types of medical necessary liquids to ensure a smooth and a stress-free travel experience.
Let’s dive right in.
Tip: Check out this Travelpro Platinum Elite 21” Carry-On Spinner, a sleek and versatile carry-on that is designed to fit within the limits of most airlines, to save you from the hassle of the airports and the pesky airline fees.
Can You Take Benadryl Through TSA?
According to the TSA, you are allowed to bring Benadryl in both liquid and pills form through the security checkpoint.
Liquid Benadryl is not subject to the TSA’s liquids rule, which means that it doesn’t need to be in a container of 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less or inside a quart sized bag.
However; you can only bring a reasonable quantities of Benadryl through the security checkpoint, if you are carrying a larger quantity of liquid Benadryl or even pills, you may need to put them in your checked luggage.
The TSA didn’t specifically mention Benadryl on its website but I found this answer from the TA customer service.
Daniel wanted to bring this 4 oz bottle of children’s Benadryl liquid in carry on.
The TSA gave him the green light saying that liquid medications are allowed in carry-on bags in excess of 3.4 oz / 100 ML but he will need to let the TSA officer know and take them out from his bag for X-ray screening.
Can You Take Benadryl In Checked Baggage ?
There are no rules around packing Benadryl in checked bags but it’s not really a good idea, It’s always better to keep medications handy in case you need them during the flight.
Otherwise if you wanted to bring an extra amount of Benadryl in your checked bag, just ensure that it is protected and packed properly and in its original packaging.
Can You Take Benadryl On a Plane On International Flights?
If you are traveling internationally, the rules may be different from one country to another.
For example some medications that are legal in the US may be illegal in other countries or vice versa.
So ensure that you know the rules for the exact country you are visiting, as most countries do require to declare medication at the Airport.
What Are Some Tips for Traveling with Benadryl?
Before heading to the airport with your Benadryl ensure that you go over these tips to avoid any inconvenience at the airport:
- Pack Benadryl in your carry-on bag: Keep your Benadryl in your carry-on bag, rather than your checked luggage. This way, you will have easy access to your medication during the flight.
- Take your Benadryl in its original packaging: As mentioned earlier, medications should be kept in their original packaging with the prescription label attached. This helps airport security officers identify the medication and ensures that it is not a prohibited item.
- Bring a copy of your prescription: If you are carrying a prescription Benadryl, bring a copy of your prescription with you. This can help you avoid any issues with the airport security agent who may question the authenticity of your Benadryl.
Generally any type of medication is allowed on planes on domestic flights, including liquid and pills Benadryl.
Liquid medications are exempt from the TSA liquid rules, so you don’t need to worry about the TSA 3.4 oz / 100 ml limit rule or to place them with other liquids or toiletries.
However; you will be required to inform the security officer that you are taking medication, and you will need to remove them from your bag and place them in a separate bin for X-ray screening.
It is not recommended to place any type of medications in checked baggage, unless you are packing extra or you won’t use them during your flight.
We hope this helps
People also ask:
- Can You Bring Advil On A Plane?
- Can I Bring Tums On A Plane?
- Can I Bring Cough Drops On A Plane?
- Can You Take Eye Drops On A Plane?
- Can You Bring Syringes On a Plane?
- Can You Bring An Inhaler On A Plane?
- Can I Bring Ointment On a Plane?
- Can You Bring Flonase On a Plane?