So how strict is Delta with carry-on size? Is Delta really strict about carry-on size and weight?
Delta airlines are not lenient about its carry on size, at the airport you will be required to place your bag at the luggage sizer, if the bag does not meet the carry on size requirement which is 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches / 56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm it will be counted as a checked bag.
keep reading to know more about Delta carry on size and how heavy can a carry on be on delta?
Let’s dive right in.
How Many Carry-on Items Are You Allowed On Delta?
Delta allows one carry-on bag and one personal item onboard as hand luggage free of charge.
The main carry-on bag must fit in the overhead compartment while the personal item need to be stored easily under the seat in front of you.
Here is an answer from the Delta customer service:
This passenger asked Delta that he booked a basic class and wonder if the price in the ticket included a carry-on bag ? If so, what it the specific size and weight for the carry-on bag ?
Additional Items Permitted By Delta
In addition to your main carry-on bag and personal item you can also bring these items and they don’t counted toward your carry on allowance:
- A jacket and / or umbrella
- Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint
- Duty-free shopping items
- Children car seats
- Assistive devices
Delta Carry on Size Requirements
Delta is little strict about its carry on size, and your cabin baggage must follow these carry-on policies.
- Delta carry on size limits is ( approximately 22″ x 14″ x 9″ or 56 x 35 x 23 cm). Reference size check templates located at ticket counters and gates.
- Delta carry on size must not exceed 45 linear inches ( or 114 cm) length, width and height, and this includes any handles and wheels, with exception of small musical instruments that fit in the overhead cabin or under the space under the seat in front of yours.
Here is the answer from Delta customer service on Twitter.
Janet wanted to bring a carry on bag that is 23″ x 14″ x 9″ which is slightly above the permitted size.
Delta replied that if the bag does not meet the size requirement it will not be accepted as a carry on and you could be charged with the standard checked bag fee.
Even though in the real world a carry-on bag that is slightly above the allowed size with one inch or two could be accepted as a carry-on bag.
Does Delta Weigh Your Carry on?
Delta Airline do not apply weight restrictions to carry-on bags, just ensure that you can handle your bag without any help.
But there are some exceptions for international flights:
- Singapore, Singapore – Changi International Airport (SIN) carry on should not exceed 15 lbs (7kgs).
- Beijing – Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) requires that domestic hand carry bags should not exceed 10kgs. Individual carrier rules apply for international flights.
- Shanghai – Pudong International Airport (PVG) carry on should not exceed 22lbs. (10kgs).
Can I Take a Backpack And Carry-on Delta?
Yes you can take a backpack and a carry-on if it is within the allowed size.
If your bag is too large but it still within Delta carry on size “22 / 14″ / 9 ” it will be considered as your main carry-on bag, you should place it in the overhead bin, but if it fits under the seat in front of you, even if it is slightly squashed then it will be counted as a personal item.
- Is Delta strict with personal item size?
- Is Delta strict with checked bag size ?
- Can I Prepay Baggage On Delta?
Where Should I Stow My Hand Luggage?
You can stow your hand luggage in an overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.
For passengers flying on Delta connecting flights and the flights with 50 seats or less, they are entitled for one carry-on item on board the aircraft due to the limited space.
The small item must fit under the seat in front of you and other carry-on luggage if they are not within delta’s size restrictions will be subject for gate check. free of charge during the boarding process and returned to you upon deplaning.
Please ensure that a luggage tag is securely attached to the carry-on item.
Assistive devices are not subject to this restriction.
- How strict is American Airlines carry on size?
- How strict is jetblue on checked baggage size?
- What is United airlines baggage allowance?
What Is The Best Spacious Carry-on Bag For Delta?
I conducted a research to find the perfect bag that will fit Delta carry-on perfectly, and I found this great value for money carry-on bags on Amazon, they are all compliant with the airline carry-on size, meanwhile durable and lightweight.
You can choose the one that suits you, if you are hard-side suitcases fan you can opt for this Amazon Basics 21-Inch Hardside Spinner or this American Tourister Moonlight Hardside they will carry almost all what your items and still within the airline size limits, but if you are more to the soft-sided bags this Samsonite Solyte DLX Softside Expandable Luggage with Spinner Wheels is the way to go.
Final Thoughts: So how strict are delta with carry on size?
Ultimately, most Airlines strict about luggage dimensions because the space in the overhead compartment is limited and will not fit for large suitcases.
But in their l world you can still take a larger suitcase that is slightly oversized with few inches.
But if your bag looks big and bulky there are more chance that they will ask you to place the bag in the sizer and if the bag is oversized it will be subject for checked baggage policies.
So make sure that you grab a bag that is compliant with Delta carry-on size limits, the good news is most major airlines have a similar standard size, so one bag can be used for various airlines.