Virgin Atlantic wins many awards in the United Kingdom including the 2020 KAYAK best baggage service award.
But what about their baggage rules, and how strict is Virgin Atlantic with carry on and checked baggage?
Keep reading to learn more about Virgin Atlantic baggage allowance and regulations.
Let’s dive right in.
Tip: Looking for a carry-on bag ? Check this 20-inch Samsonite Winfield. It is a durable carry-on with a spacious interior, with spinner wheels, and is compliant with most budget and international airlines.
How Strict Is Virgin Atlantic Carry On?
Does Virgin Atlantic Weigh Carry On Bags?
Virgin Atlantic weighs carry-on bags and it is included as part of its Guests tickets, also it depends on the cabin, so you may be able to take more than just the one bag.
Economy and Premium:
Economy and Premium Guests (Light, Classic & Delight) or Premium can take one piece of hand baggage weighing up to 10 kg (or 22lb).
All Upper Class Guests are allowed to carry on board up to two pieces of hand baggage , with a maximum weight of 12kg (26lb) for one bag, or up to 16kg (35lb) combined weight. for example, you could take a 12kg bag and another little bag of 4kg.
Is a Backpack a Personal Item Virgin Atlantic?
In addition of your cabin bag Virgin Atlantic allows the following items and free of charge :
- Your handbag, small backpack/rucksack, pocketbook or purse, as you would normally use it (in other words, not just being used to contain items that would otherwise be regarded as baggage)
- Your overcoat or wrap
- Your umbrella or walking stick (these cannot be pointed or sharp)
- A small camera and/or pair of binoculars
- A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight
- An infant’s food (for consumption on the flight)
- A small amount of duty free goods
- Headphones for onboard use (they’ll need the standard 3.5mm jack).
- What is baggage for indigo airlines?
- How strict is Level Airline with baggage?
- How Strict Is Sun Country With Personal Item?
How Strict Are Virgin With Hand Luggage Size?
Virgin hand luggage size needs to be a maximum of 23 x 36 x 56cm (that’s around 9 x 14 x 22 inches).
Hand baggage is included as part of all Virgin tickets, and depending on the cabin you might be able to take more than just the one bag. Whichever cabin you’re in.
What Is Virgin Atlantic Lap Infant Baggage Allowance?
Infants and toddlers between 0-23 months are entitled for one bag weighing up to 6 kg (or 13lb).
Children more than 2 years are entitled to the same baggage allowance for adults as stated above.
You can use your infants collapsible pushchair or car seat until you arrive at the gate (then the airline staff will take it from you at the gate and pop it in the hold).
Alternatively, the following foldable buggies are permitted in the cabin with you as your hand baggage:
- GB Pocket
- Britax Holiday
- SIlver CrossJet
- BabyZen YoYo
Virgin Atlantic Checked baggage Rules
What Are Virgin Atlantic Checked Baggage Rules?
All Virgin tickets come with a free checked in bag allowance – as stated bellow- . except Economy Light, which doesn’t include any free checked baggage:
Economy Classic and Delight classes Guests are allowed to check in one bag. that can be up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins) in size and up to 23kg (50lb) in weight.
Economy light Guests don’t have free checked in baggage, but they can buy additional baggage when check in if they need it.
The allowance is different when flying to or from Delhi, Mumbai, Lagos and Johannesburg.
If you have a premium ticket, you are entitled for up to two pieces of baggage, each bag can be up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins) in size and up to 23kg (50lb) in weight.
Virgin Atlantic checked in bag allowance for Upper Class Guests changed from 9th December 2019.
If you booked before the 9th December, you are allowed to check in up to 3 three pieces of baggage, each weighing up to 32kg (70lb) and with dimensions of up to 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins). After that date, it’s two bags (the weight and size remain the same).
Virgin Atlantic Extra Baggage Rules
What Is Virgin Atlantic Baggage Fees?
If you want to check in more than your free baggage allowance; Virgin Atlantic allows you to purchase up to 7 extra items per Guest when checking in online.
If your bags are over the standard size of 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins), please check out the excess baggage rules below.
Additional baggage charges are per flight :
|Number of bags being checked in||Economy Light||Economy Classic & Delight||Premium||Upper Class||Overweight||Oversized|
|first Bag||45 GBP / 60 USD||Included||Included||Included||65 GBP / 100 USD||200 GBP / 300 USD|
|Second Bag||65 GBP / 100 USD||65 GBP / 100 USD||Included||Included||65 GBP / 100 USD||200 GBP / 300 USD|
|Third Ba||140 GBP / 200 USD||140 GBP / 200 USD||140 GBP / 200 USD||140 GBP / 200 USD||65 GBP / 100 USD||200 GBP / 300 USD|
|Fourth Bag||140 GBP / 200 USD||140 GBP / 200 USD||140 GBP / 200 USD||140 GBP / 200 USD||65 GBP / 100 USD||200 GBP / 300 USD|
Virgin Atlantic Excess Baggage Rules
bags come in all shapes and sizes, so if your bags are bigger than Virgin Atlantic standard dimensions, you might need to pay a fee at the airport to take it onboard.
Oversized baggage is a bag or item that is larger than Virgin Atlantic standard baggage size of 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins).
If any of your bags are over 190 x 75 x 65cm (75 x 29.5 x 25.5in) you won’t be able to check them in as baggage, but you might be able to fly them as cargo. You’ll need to contact a freight forwarder to do this.
Excess baggage fees
If you booked before 9th December 2019, the fee for oversized checked in bags is £65 (or $100 US) per item.
For bookings made on or after the 9th December 2019, the charges for oversized checked in bags will be £200 (or $300 US) per item.
Outside of the UK and US, the £UK fee will be converted to the local currency.
Virgin Atlantic Restricted baggage Rules
For your own safety and safety of all Virgin Atlantic Guests, certain items are allowed and others are not to transport with Virgin Atlantic, check out the info below:
What Items I’m Not Allowed To Carry On Board The Airplane?
- Smart bags (unless the batteries can be removed)
- Torch-style cigarette lighters
- Non-safety matches
- Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal)
- Sharp items – this includes household items such as household cutlery, knives (of any length), paper knives, razor blades or darts
- Hypodermic syringes – unless you have a medical condition that requires you to inject on the flight. Find more information below.
- Scissors (scissors with blunt/round-ended blades, metal or plastic, less than 6cm in length or scissors with metal blades and pointed tips under 3cms are permitted)
- Sporting bats
- Billiard, snooker or pool cues
- Tradesmen’s tools (however, US airports will allow screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers and other tools, but not crowbars, drills, hammers or saws, as long as they are seven inches or less in length)
- Any dangerous articles such as flammables, corrosives, poisons, radioactive materials, ammunition, firearms or explosives.
Item Not Allowed In Hold baggage
- blasting caps,
- detonators and fuses,
- mines, grenades and other explosive military stores,
- fireworks and other pyrotechnics,
- smoke-generating canisters and smoke-generating cartridges,
- dynamite, gunpowder and plastic explosives
Find more about what to not take in checked baggage in this post.
It is better to stay within the Virgin Atlantic size and weight as much as possible.
If you show up to the airport with a large suitcase you may end up paying some whopping charges.
Ensure that you use a standard suitcase that is compatible with most airlines carry on dimensions, like the one recommended above.
We hope this helps
- Virgin Atlantic miles & benefits
- Excess baggage alternative
- find a carry on bag that fits your needs
Disclosure:All information is pulled from The airline websites as a resource. Airline websites are the authority and can change at any time. For the latest information please visit the Airline website : flywith.virginatlantic.com