If you are considering to book a flight with Finnair but you are not sure what to expect with them and if they are strict with their carry on baggage.
In this post I will provide everything you need to know about their luggage policies, and some tips so you can take more luggage.
Let us dive right in.
How Strict Is Finnair With Carry-on?
Finnair takes its carry-on allowance seriously, so it enforces its restrictions to ensure the safety and the comfort of all its passengers.
There are more chances that they will monitor the weight and size of your carry-on bag, and if your bag does not meet the airline requirement it will be subject for checked baggage rules.
Finnair General Carry-on Rules
The carry on baggage allowance on Finnair depends on your ticket and traveling class.
But in general business class passengers are allowed to bring two carry-on bags and one personal item.
And economy class passers are only allowed to have one carry-on bag and one personal item.
The carry-on bag needs to be placed in the overhead, while the personal item needs to fit under the seat in front of you.
Your carry on luggage need to fall under these size and weight requirements:
- Two carry on bags with maximum dimensions 55cm length x 40cm width x 23cm height / 22in length x 16in width x 9in height
- The personal item such as a small handbag, a small laptop bag or a small backpack, maximum dimensions 40cm length x 30cm width x 15cm height / 16in length x 12in width x 6in height)
- Maximum total weight 10kg (22lb.)
- The single carry on bag with the maximum sizes 55cm length x 40cm height x 23cm width / 22in length x 16in height x 9in width
- The personal item that can be a small handbag, a small laptop bag or a small backpack, maximum size 40cm length x 30cm width x 15cm height / 16in length x 12in width x 6in height
- maximum total weight 8kg (17.5lb.)
Liquids and Restricted items
Just like any other airline liquids and toiletries have some restrictions, and limits, so you will need to take only small amounts which are less than 100 ml / 3.4 oz ml for each container.
The total of the liquids you can take inside your carry on bag is 1000 ml / 34 oz.
Medicines, baby food and tax-free products
- You can take enough medicines for the whole journey. Please take along the prescription.
- You can bring enough baby milk and baby food for the flight
- Tax-free goods (duty free shopping ) can be brought to the cabin unopened and sealed in an airport security bag. Please note: if you’re transferring onto another flight in a different country, even sealed duty-free bags may be screened again and subject to that country’s security rules.
Prohibited other items
It is better to avoid these items inside your carry on bag:
- sharp objects such as knives, large scissors, corkscrews and tweezers
- skates are allowed when departing from Helsinki, but other destinations might have restrictions
- matches and lighters
- lithium-ion batteries over 100 Wh (watt-hours)
- lithium metal batteries containing over 2 grams of lithium
Finnair Checked Baggage
All tickets on Finnair flights are entitled to have one checked bag free of charge, and it can be a standard checked bag or a special item, like a sports equipment or any other type of luggage.
Checked more about different destinations here
In general Finnair is strict with its carry on policy, they enforce the size and weight of luggage, to ensure all the passengers can take their essential items on board.
So it is important that you stay within Finnair carry on size and weight limits to avoid any additional fees or consequences and have a smooth and stress free travel experience.
We hope this helps