Out of all the tasty food out there, a delicious pizza is a must have when you are on board the airplane. But here is the million dollar question: Can you actually bring pizza through the TSA security checkpoint?”.
Yes, you can bring any type of pizza through the TSA security checkpoint and in carry-on baggage. This includes well known options like Pepperoni, Margherita, and even Chicago deep dish pizza, whether with meat or vegetarian toppings.
keep reading to learn more about taking your favorite pizza on a plane and slice through the security checkpoint without any issues.
Let’s dive right in.🍕
TSA Approved Pizza: Yes, It’s Possible!
The TSA did specifically mention pizza on its website.
As per what is written in the screenshot above, most solid foods, including fresh and frozen pizza, will pass through the TSA security checkpoint.
The TSA recommends that you keep your items organized, especially if you place your pizza or other food inside your bag.
The more you organize your bag, the less time you will spend at the security checkpoint, because it will help the X-ray machine detect what is inside the bag quickly.
Each container needs to be 3.4 fl oz / 100 ml or less and placed inside a quart sized bag.
You will need to remove your baggie from your carry-on and place it in a separate bin at the airport.
You don’t have to keep your food liquids inside your quart sized bag with other toiletries after you pass the security checkpoint.Tip
I researched the TSA social media to find more answers.
Ryan already asked the TSA if she can bring this mouthwatering half eaten pizza through the security checkpoint.
The AskTSA customer service replied that ” Solid food is good to go through the security checkpoint.”
Remember that even if the TSA generally approved a pizza box it may undergo additional screening at the security checkpoint.
So stay patient and cooperative if security officers need to inspect your pizza.
You can always buy a pizza after you pass the security checkpoint. You can also bring any amount of toppings and sauce after you pass the security checkpoint without any restrictions.
If you are flying frequently within the US, apply for a TSA PreCheck so you don’t need to remove shoes, belts, 3-1-1 liquids, laptops, or light jackets.Tip
Read also: Can You Bring a Box Cutter On a Plane?
Tips For Packing Pizza To Avoid Spills And Messes
Traveling with pizza requires some prior planning and preparation, here are some tips to follow before heading to the airport with your box of pizza:
- Use a solid box: if you are taking homemade pizza consider using a sturdy box, you can also consider double-boxing it with protective padding to minimize the risk of damage.
- Use leak proof containers: For liquid toppings or sauces, store them in leak-proof small containers that respect the TSA liquid size (pack larger containers in checked baggage).
- Keep the TSA clerks in mind: If you’re carrying any type of pizza, inform the TSA officer you are bringing food, even if the security officer notices the box they still needs to know what is inside it.
- Freeze pizza slices: if you don’t plan to eat all of your pizza during the flight, you can freeze them beforehand, this will also help at the security checkpoint.
Final Thoughts On Bringing Pizza Through TSA.
Traveling with pizza through TSA checkpoints is quite straightforward.
You can bring frozen pizzas, store-bought slices, or even homemade pizza without any restrictions.
The TSA won’t stop you from getting them on board as long as your pizza does not have excessive liquids.
I hope this helps
People also ask:
- Can I Bring Onion On a Plane?
- Can I Bring Pancake Mix On a Plane?
- Can I Bring Tuna Packets On a Plane?
- Can You Take Tamales On a Plane?