Ready to fly with Ethiopian Airlines but not sure how strict is Ethiopian Airlines with their luggage allowance?
Keep reading because in this post we will cover everything you need about Ethiopian baggage allowance and policies to avoid any last minute surprises at the airport.
Let’s dive right in.
👉 Check out my favorite SOLID Olympia U.S.A. Spinner, available in carry-on with a spacious interior, spinner wheels, and is compliant with most major airlines, check it out on Amazon.
Carry On Baggage
How Strict is Ethiopian Airlines with Carry on baggage?
Ethiopian Airlines Are not so strict about its baggage allowance However you will need to the following luggage policies and rules to avoid any additional last munite charges in the airport:
- Business class two (2) pieces each weighing 7 kgs is acceptable free of charge.
- Economy class one (1) piece with a maximum weight of 7 kgs is acceptable free of charge. In both cases the carry on baggage should be suitable for placement in the over-head rack or under the passenger’s seat. The sum of the three dimensions (L+W+H) shall not exceed (23 x 40 x 55 cm).
In addition to your carry on baggaeg allowance Ethiopian Airlines allowed you to carry without additional fess , the following carry on items the weight of which shall not exceed 5kg.
- A lady handbag
- An overcoat, wrap or blanket.
- A small camera and/or a pair of binoculars.
- A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight.
- Infant’s food for consumption in flight.
- Infant’s carrying basket.
- Duty Free Items
- fully collapsible wheel chair and/or a pair of crutches, and /or braces or other prosthetic device for the passenger use provided that the passenger is dependent upon them.
Guests travelling on Domestic routes have a maximum weight limit per single baggage of 32 kg on business class.
23 kg for economy class on all flights across the Atlantic (outbound and return, as well as transfers).
If your baggaeg is more than the weight stated above may not be accepted by the airline.
Baggage Allowance & Fees for flight to/from the US and Canada
- Ethiopian-operated flights (ET) the first and second checked bag in Cloud Nine and Economy is free
- For ShebaMiles Gold, ShebaMiles Silver and Star Gold passengers, the first checked bag above the complimentary (free) checked bag allowance shown above is also free of charge
- for Shebamiles Silver 23 kg (50 lbs) with maximum dimension (L+W+H)158 cm (62 inches). each regardless of the class of service they travel(For Shebamiles Silver Applicable only on Ethiopian Airlines flights and to flights operated by Ethiopian Airlines).
- for Shebamiles Gold 32 kg (70 lbs) with maximum dimension (L+W+H)158 cm (62 inches)
- In Cloud Nine and Economy, including ShebaMiles Gold, ShebaMiles Silver and Star Gold passengers, the fee for any additional checked bags beyond the complementary specified above is $160/bag each way between the USA/Canada and Addis Ababa, between Middle east and Asia and USA/Canada $250/bag each way and for all other points the fee is USD200.00/bag each way.
For the long-haul flights the piece concept applies.
you can check in up to 2 piece of baggage in addition of your carry on baggage free of charge.
The table bellow shows the allowed weight for piece:
|Across Atlantic from to U.S.A.||2 pieces, 32 kg each|
3 pieces 23 kg each
|2 pieces, 23 kg each|
Do infants have baggage allowance on Ethiopian Airlines?
If you are travelling with your infant,not having a seat they are allowed 10kg of baggage free of charge, in addition of a collapsible stroller, or push chair, wish may be carried as carry on baggage, but it will be subject to space availability.
If your baggage is oversized or overweight or you want to carry additional baggage your baggage will be subject for additional fees. you can find excess baggage reates here .
Can I buy extra baggage on Ethiopian Airlines?
Yes you Purchase additional baggage at ethiopianairlines website . You can also purchase it from Ethiopian ticketing offices, Ethiopian Global Contact Center, Ethiopian agents and Ethiopian Airport.
it is always preferable to purchase your baggage online as it is more less expensive than the airport.
One set of skiing equipment (one pair of skis, one pair of ski poles and/or one pair of boots) will be charged at the applicable rate for 3 kg of excess baggage.
If you carry more than one set, the normal excess baggage charge shall apply for the extra weight.
One set of golfing equipment (one golf bag and one pair of golf shoes) will be charged at the applicable rate for 6 kg of excess baggage. If weight of golfing equipment exceeds 15 kg, the normal excess charge shall apply.
Delayed Or Lost Baggage
Please note if your baggage is delayed or lost, you should claim it in the airport before you leave the baggage area.
The airline staff wil do their best to get back your suitcase. overall,sometimes damage might happen under certain circumstances.
if you find that your baggage is damaged , please review this page to see how to report your baggage claim.
Disclosure:Some information for ( Ethiopian Airlines baggage allowance strict ) is pulled from The airline websites as a resource. Airline websites are the authority and can change at any time. For the latest information please visit the Airline website.