TAP Portugal is a popular airline that operates flights to several destinations around the world, and understanding their baggage policy is important to avoid any last minute charges at the airport.
So what is TAP baggage allowance? and how strict is TAP Portugal on baggage?
In this blog post, we will provide everything about TAP Portugal’s baggage policies and answer all your questions on how strict they are with their carry on luggage.
as well as provide tips on how to manage their policy effectively.
Let’s dive in and learn more about TAP Portugal’s baggage policy.
👉 Check out my favorite SOLID Olympia U.S.A. Spinner, available in carry-on with a spacious interior, spinner wheels, and is compliant with most major airlines, check it out on Amazon.
In this Post:
- How strict is TAP Portugal carry on baggage allowance?
- How strict is TAP Portugal check-in baggage allowance?
- How strict is TAP Portugal excess baggage allowance?
- How strict is TAP Portugal restricted items baggage allowance?
How Strict Is TAP Portugal Carry On Baggage Allowance?
All TAP and TAP express Guests are allowed to carry one hand luggage on board the aircraft, with the maximum size up to 55X40x20cm.
Your baggage must be within the permitted limits (number, size and weight) In order for it to be free of charge. These limits depend on your flight destination. Find out everything:
When traveling to / from domestic destinations (including the islands), Europe, Africa and North America you can carry on the aircraft:
- Economy Class: allowed to carry 1 piece of baggage up to 8 kg / 55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in + 1 personal item* up to 2 Kg / 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in.
- Executive Class : allowed to carry 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in + 1 personal item* up to 2 Kg / 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in.
If travelling to/from destinations in South America you can carry on the aircraft:
- Economy Class: 10 kg / 22 Ibs 1 piece of baggage up to 10 kg / 55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in.
- Executive Class : 2 pieces of baggage up to 8 kg / 55x40x20 cm / 22x16x8 in + 1 personal item* up to 2 Kg / 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in.
*The personal item can be one of the following items:
- A purse or a computer bag or shoulder bag (maximum size: 40x30x15 cm / 16x12x5 in);
- Auxiliary mobility equipment;
- Medical devices (by prescription/prior approval);
- With a maximum weight of 2 Kg/4.4 Ib.
Some aircraft operated by TAP Express (Embraer 190 and ATR 72-600), there may be additional carry-on restrictions due to limited space in the aircraft cabin and luggage compartment.Important information
How to stow your carry-on?
Before we explain how to stow your cabin baggage on TAP airplanes, we’ve researched the best carry on bags available online for give them a shot .
Carry-on baggage must be placed underneath the seat in front of you whenever possible.
On flights that are very full, some hand baggage may need to be checked and carried in the hold due to the lack of space in the cabin. When this happens, the baggage will be checked at the boarding gate and can be collected at baggage reclaim carousel at your destination.
If it is too big, or if you are seated in an emergency exit row or the first row of the cabin, the baggage should be placed in the overhead luggage bin.
How strict is TAP Portugal check in baggage allowance?
The number of bags you are allowed as checked baggage with TAP airlines, depends on your flight destination, or your TAP Miles&Go Status.
How much checked baggage can you bring on your TAP flight?
If you are traveling as a family, please note that the hold baggage allowance for children (aged from 2 to 11 years) is the same as the allowance for adults. Infants (under the age of 2) have a 10kg baggage allowance, except when traveling tap|discount. You may only carry one piece of hold baggage when traveling tap|discount, which may be one of the following: folding baby buggies, baby chairs, or baskets.
|Class||Flights between Mainland Portugal and the Islands||Flights between Europe and North Africa||Intercontinental flights|
|Classic||1 item up to 23kg / 50lb||1 item up to 23kg / 50lb||2 items up to 23kg / 50lb each|
|Top executive||2 items up to 32kg / 70lb each||2 items up to 32kg / 70lb each||3 items up to 32kg / 70lb each|
|Plus||2 items up to 23kg / 50lb each||1 item up to 23kg / 50lb|| 3 items up to 23kg / 50lb each|
|Executive||2 items up to 32kg / 70lb each||2 items up to 32kg / 70lb each||2 items up to 32kg / 70lb each|
|Basic||1 item up to 23kg / 50lb||1 item up to 23kg / 50lb||1 item up to 23kg / 50lb|
How strict is TAP Portugal excess baggage allowance?
TAP Excess baggage fees
|Within the number of pieces included in the ticket||Excess weight – from 23kg / 50lbs to 32kg / 70lbs||Excess size – bigger than 158 cm||Excess weight and size – from 23kg / 50lbs to 32kg / 70lbs and bigger than 158 cm|
|Portugal, Spain and North Africa1||40EUR *||55EUR *||95EUR *|
|Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Irland and Italy||45EUR *||60EUR *||105EUR *|
|Austria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia and Sweden||50EUR *||65EUR *||115EUR *|
|Intercontinental flights||110EUR / 140USD / 175CAD||130EUR / 155USD / 205CAD||240EUR / 295USD / 380CAD|
| Israel, Ivory Coast, Cape Verde, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Senegal, São Tomé and Togo||110EUR / 140USD / 175CAD||130EUR / 155USD / 205CAD||240EUR / 295USD / 380CAD|
How Strict Is TAP Portugal Restricted Items Baggage Allowance?
Items not accepted in your checked baggage
Guns, firearms and other devices that discharge projectiles – devices capable, or appearing capable, of being used to cause serious injury by discharging a projectile, including:
- firearms of all types, such as pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns,
- toy guns, replicas and imitation firearms capable of being mistaken for real weapons,
- component parts of firearms, excluding telescopic sights,
- compressed air and CO2 guns, such as pistols, pellet guns, rifles and ball bearing guns,
- signal flare pistols and starter pistols,
- bows, cross bows and arrows,
- harpoon guns and spear guns,
- slingshots and catapults;
Items not accepted in your checked baggage
Explosives and incendiary substances and devices – explosives and incendiary substances and devices capable of being used to cause serious injury or to pose a threat to the safety of aircraft, including:
- blasting caps,
- detonators and fuses,
- mines, grenades and other explosive military stores,
- fireworks and other pyrotechnics,
- smoke-generating canisters and smoke-generating cartridges,
- dynamite, gunpowder and plastic explosives.
Whether the airline is strict with baggage or not, it is important to stay within TAP airline baggage limits.
And. the best way to do that is to manage their policy effectively by taking a complaint suitcase, avoiding bulky items , and taking only what is essential.
By doing so you will guarantee yourself a hassle free flight and those pesky airline baggage fees.
We hope this helps
- TAP Promotions & cheap flights
- TAP Miles & Go Programme
- Excess baggage alternative
- find a carry on bag that fits your needs
Some information are gathered from these web pages: flytap.com